9.15.2003

I've been enlightened to a term I most likely should have known, but didn't, so I decided to share it with the rest of the world:

moped (n.)

a person whom one would enjoy riding for awhile, but with whom one would not like to be seen in public

Oh yeah.


Okay, I just have to brag about having the best friends in the whole friggin world. Today's example:

Jordan. She rocks. Here's why...

I've been whining about wanting to quite Silver Dollar City and looking for a new job for quite some time. I've also been really missing work with Maddi. I put in my resignation to SDC and called all the behavioral health places around the area to see if they had anything available for work with autistic children. The problem here is that there's not a large market for it. In St. Louis, if you have an autistic child, you get ABA FREE. Usually it costs about $65,000 per year. Nationally, you get funding until age 3, but after that it's up to individual school districts. With St. Louis so close, most families here with autistic children just make the move to provide the best treatment for their child. Those that stay here often have to work through non-profits that can only provide a few hours of therapy or pay the cost directly. That makes the chance of me finding a job with autistic children very very low without at least a year's commitment. I decided that I missed the work so much that I'd do voluntary work just to get back into it.

I called Jordan on my way to her house yesterday and she told me she had a surprise for me. When I got there, she sat me down and said, "okay, her name is Martha Grace, she's nonverbal, she needs someone in the afternoons..." I almost started crying right there. I'm obviously not hired yet, but Jordan's friend Laurie is looking for someone to replace her when she stops working with this family. I'm applying for the position tomorrow.

It gets better.
Jordan's friend Sarah came over and asked Jordan if she'd called Laurie yet. When Jordan said no, Sarah asked if she was going to do it. Jordan told her that I would be taking the position. That's when I realized that Jordan gave up that job so that I could have it. I seriously wanted to bawl right there, but had to play it off all cool. I can not believe that someone who has known me such a short time would be willing to do something like that for me. It's incredible. I am so blessed to have such amazing people in my life.

When one door closes, another opens...cheesy, but true.

No comments: