A couple of weeks ago Buzzfeed took a tumblr viral when it critically posted that 14 women posted why they were against feminism. I say critically because the intent of the post was to highlight the idiocy of the tumblr (read the URL: http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means), but in doing so they gave so many more people access to this hurtful, ignorant website.
Just look at some of the pictures on this website. Some of them have understandable reasons they've been hurt by radical feminists. But some of them are just ignorant. "I enjoy being a homemaker..."???? Being a feminist gives you the choice to do that OR go to work. Glad you enjoy it, some women don't. Do you think everyone should HAVE to? fahsdklfhghdaios;hjsgfjs;gj; < me hitting my head on my keyboard
I have some unorganized thoughts on this that I need to get out, and I really hope you can just hang with me for a minute on this one:
I Kinda Sorta Maybe Halfway Understand - ISH:
- I once was a young woman who didn't want to be called a feminist - I thought feminists weren't feminine.
- I want to be a stay at home mom for a couple of years at least. I LOVE the idea of having a man who can care for me - that didn't sound very feminist to me before I became educated about feminism.
- I don't want to be associated with the people who go overboard. I am not a radical. I am not an extremist.
- I believe there is a difference between men and women and used to not understand that most feminists understand this, too.
YOU do not get to make ANY judgments against feminism to me IF you have never:
- been told to keep your mouth shut because it's a client and it doesn't matter if it's sexual harassment.
- been raped.
- been paid less than your male peers when you work more than they do.
- been abused.
- been told you didn't get the job because they think you'll want to have babies soon.
- been kept out of meetings that you made happen because only men were invited.
- seen how women outside our borders are treated.
- been told you were a bitch when the man who did the same thing was aggressive and doing his job well.
- had a relationship not work out because you make more than the guy.
- been told you were asking for it.
- been delegated to party planning and ordering everyone's lunches when you outrank everyone at the table.
- been told, "girls can't/don't do that."
“A discipline of thought and action that aims to enhance mutuality and trust among all people; to reveal the meanings of gender differences, especially as these might interfere with reciprocity and trust… and to oppose all models and methods of dominance-submission for relationships among people. What feminism has revealed, in its many forms from theology to literary criticism to psychology and philosophy, is that the silencing and trivializing of women and their ideas affect all of us all of the time in the way that we expect the world and ourselves to be.”
And feminism is ABSOLUTELY still necessary.
There are so many studies and well-written articles on why it's ridiculous. Here are a few:
- http://www.pay-equity.org/day.html - Women will have to work through April 14, 2015 to make what men will make in 2014.
- http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/bloggers/why-feminism-still-matters-in-2014.1394191059 - 2/week in the world are killed by a current or former male partner, 1/4 women are victims of domestic violence.
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-solod/feminism_b_1693029.html - young women have a choice: pretty and married or successful and bitchy.
- http://listverse.com/2013/03/16/10-reasons-we-still-need-feminism/ - because many countries still remove women's clits without anesthetic, marry them off before puberty, and sell them into prostitution.
- http://www.patheos.com/blogs/simchafisher/2014/04/23/yes-we-still-need-feminism/ - b/c we are constantly faced with new challenges in an evolving world
My favorite response comes from an artist named Rebecca Vipond Brink. I think she's fabulous. And I think her response is on point: http://www.flareandfade.com/i-dont-need-feminism-because/
And now, those promised cats: http://confusedcatsagainstfeminism.tumblr.com/
Thanks for listening.